Friday 28 February 2020

TRANSFERABLE SKILLS

TRANSFERABLE SKILLS
Inspired by one of Adesola’s blogs about ‘collaborations and other knowledge gained from the arts’ I thought I would share my ideas on the topic. I have in fact been thinking about this topic myself over the last month.
I remember a teacher at college saying that this is full time training for a part time career. And yes although you may not always be using your art form in a direct way, the skills you gain from this training and industry can be used in our professional and personal lives full time.
One of the most useful skills that I have learned from the arts is the ability to work as a team and communicate with others. In the arts you have first days all the time and you are constantly meeting new people. I remember struggling with this as a late teen and although it can still be daunting to meet new people I find I have developed the skills and confidence to interact and work creatively with new faces on a regular basis.
In an interview for a teaching assistant role in a school the headmaster asked if I would be able to multitask and would I mind moving from class to class or would this ‘stress me out’. To with I replied ‘I’m an actor!’. As an actor I’ve been working 8-5 in the day whilst doing a fringe show at night, prepping for auditions, responding to emails whilst trying to eat and sleep and breath!! Whilst this level of multitasking may not always be sustainable it certainly made me organised and resilient.
There is sometimes an assumption if someone hasn’t taken the performing or teaching track after graduating that they have not succeeded in using their training. The above proves that an arts training can give you skills for life whatever area you end up working in!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kate Anne, so nice to see a familiar face.

    Love your post on Transferable Skills, it is something that I have been looking hugely into as I believe this is what makes up my practice. As we have had the same training I completely relate to everything you’ve written about, although I had never thought about your idea on communication skills being linked to the arts due to how many times we have had to go through that ‘first day of work’ experience. I love this specific idea and your approach in general, it has given me some food for thought.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alex!
    Likewise, it's really fantastic to see a familiar face and thanks so much for your comments and feedback.
    Glad it's also helped your research also! I think our training has certainly helped us to take on many of lives twist and turns!!!
    Hope to see you soon,
    Kate-Anne

    ReplyDelete